Meeting Some Yahoos

Sunday, November 23, 2008

I was unable to view any of the game yesterday due to my personal life, but I did make it out to Dodger Stadium for the Meet The Players "party" this afternoon. I was able to "meet" Oscar Moller, Raitis Ivanans, Kyle Quincey, Denis Gauthier, Erik Ersberg, Wayne Simmonds, Sean O'Donnell, Michal Handzus, and Jarret Stoll. My friend, AJ, stood in line for an hour to see Dustin Brown. So while I saw 9 of the players, she only saw 5. Bummer for her but she got what she wanted, so it's all good. General thoughts from the "party":

  • They should nix the word "party" and just call it a "session" or something. "Meet the Players (while we guide you through roped off lines)"
  • Handzus seriously lacks the ability to smile. This is the second time I've taken a picture with him and it's the second time where he's looked like he's in pain. Maybe it's me... but I shower everyday!
  • Kyle Quincey has the MOST GORGEOUS EYES. I was trying my best to not get hypnotized...
  • I'm not sure which line was longer, the one for Anze Kopitar or for Drew Doughty. Either way, there was no way in hell I was going to even attempt that.
  • Ivanans was totally smiling and conversing with me, but right when the camera was aimed at us, he tried to get the smile off his face. Boo.
If you're my friend or "friend" on facebook, you'll be able to check those pictures out. Good times had by all. Oh, this was also my first viewing of the third jersey. It's... fine. It's another black and white jersey. I LOVE the Gretzky Black and Silver era, which this was attempting to harken back to, so I can't be too critical. According to our little handout we recieved:
The KINGS alternative uniform is designed to give us a fond look back to glorious times for our franchise with an eye to the future to inspire players and fans alike for what lies ahead... a future that is grounded with the values, the determination, the pride and the passion that serves as the foundation for the LA KINGS franchise.
Fine, fine. I'm just glad it's not as hideous as some of the other 3rds that have been rolled out. Ahem... Ottawa. Anyway, I got some pucks signed, but I ran out so I just started having them sign the front of my jersey. The only person allowed to sign the back is Brownie. That is all.

After the day wound down and AJ and I were headed home, we drove by the Forum in Inglewood, which was looking like it was up to no good, and it totally doesn't look right without the "Great Western" up there. So I added it.

Looks better, no?

6 comments:

KQ949 November 24, 2008 at 12:22 AM  

Sounds like fun! Not sure I would have wasted my time in the "sucky" line, but whatever trips your trigger! ;)

I'm going to have to get me something signed by donut this year...his rookie year. I think he is a definite future H.O.F.er!

Was my future son-in-law JJ there?

Connie November 24, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

I wanted a picture with Ersberg, and Gauthier isn't bad to look at. So it wasn't technically a lose-lose situation there.

Get in line! Everyone loves Doughty. Jack was NOT there; apparently he was sick.

Gann Matsuda November 24, 2008 at 5:41 PM  

So where are the photos of you with the players? I want to see the one of you and Handzus. :-)

Gann Matsuda November 24, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

Oh yeah...I'm not a Facebook person... :-(

Jaeca December 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

Haha, I just discovered your blog and found this post. I only got to meet 4 players, but I think after Anze, my day was complete. But 9 players? Wish I had the patience for it...

Connie December 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

Gann - You gotta get with the program. Facebook is the place to be.

Jaeca - Thanks for leaving a comment! It really means a lot. I didn't even try Kopitar's line or Doughty's line. WAY too long. None of the waits I had were too horrendous either.

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP