Kings Smash Caps And Ovechkin Cries: Kings 5, Capitals 2

Friday, November 21, 2008

The Kings brought a dominating performance on the ice against the Washington Capitals. They had a great first period by not allowing the Caps any room in their zone, which translated into the latter getting only three shots on. I honestly think teams are shocked when they come to Staples and are limited to less than five shots in the opening frame because the shots total rises with each subsequent period. The Capitals fell victim to this trend, which really wasn't surprising. They were playing without Alexander Semin, Sergei Fedorov, and Matt Green. These three are definitely key players to their lineup, but, what's the saying again? Oh right, "no excuses." The Caps were outshot 33-21, which continues to amaze me and make me so proud of my boys. We also outhit the Caps 34-29. Team leaders were Brian Boyle (shocking) with 5 and Alexander Ovechkin with 7.

The top line of Patrick O'Sullivan, Anze Kopitar, and Dustin Brown was reunited and they played a great game. Respectively they tallied an even-strength, short-handed, and power play goal. But the evening's first goal came from Drew Doughty from the point. It was just perfection and we proceeded to stand up and cheer four more times after that. Later in the game, Doughty was actually almost completely undressed by Ovechkin, but Drew stuck to him and broke up the individual rush. It was nerve-wrackingly awesome.

The one blemish on the stats sheet: Kyle Calder getting 15:36 of TOI. Really? Is that really necessary? He really wasn't helping out the team with any of the shifts he took and myself and I believe everyone else in my section was experiencing the same sort of wrath.

(Getty Images/Andrew D. Bernstein)
Another blemish on the roster

Halfway through the third period, there was a rush to the Kings net and it ended with a lot of bodies in the crease. When the whistle blew, Ovechkin was the only one still kneeling on the ice. He appaently got hurt somehow, which I missed, and when he got up and skated to the ref to give him some words, Staples Center proceeded to boo his ass. I've never actually heard a crowd boo a player when he has gotten up after being hurt in some way on the ice. It was a little odd but Ovechkin ended up getting an interference penalty at the end of all that and he looked fine. He just needed to shake it off, whatevs.

The game ended two quick Kings goals in the last minute of the period, which took the game out of the hands of the Caps. We cheered. The Kings had a decisive win and we all left Staples Center happy. The end.

8 comments:

Brad November 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

I'd bet three of Ovechkins hits came on the same shift against Gauthier. I was also a bit shocked by the booing after the hit on Brown. I watched the replays they showed and I didn't see any way he could have been injured on that play?

Connie November 21, 2008 at 12:36 PM  

I definitely forgot to DVR this game before I left the house. According to RudyKelly over at Battle of California, Brownie's skate accidentally clipped his ear while Ovechkin was in the process of interfering.

KQ949 November 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM  

I was SO proud of Donut last night. He made some GREAT plays against OV and never backed down. OV can make fools out of some defenders, but he didn't make Donut look like one! He is my new fave, but it's kinda creepy considering he's the same age as Emily! lol

I read someone's comment that OV was a meaner, more aggressive Selanne. I think that's a good description. He was VERY frustrated in the 3rd which led to him blind-siding brownie when he got hurt. He does have the whiney Selanne character flaw though.

Agree with Calder...WTF. Sit on the bench. I also see you are SO excited the little gnat Zeiler is back. He's such a spaz!

I'll take the win and points against a team I'm sure 95% of people thought we'd get creamed!

Now, about those bitches Ryan Smyth and Adam Foote.....

Brad November 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

Considering their win streak (8-0-2?) and their score against anaheim the other night, I wasn't too hopeful for those points.

Brownie's skate accidentally clipped his ear

Yup. about 54 seconds in you can see it. Ouch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZKRizzYshk

Connie November 21, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

KQ - Ovechkin is just a dynamic player and he knows it. I actually thought we stood a chance because they had three key players out of their lineup.

Brad - Thanks for the clip. That's a great shot of it.

Bleed Black and Purple November 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM  

I have one wuestion. Why is CALDER on the PP. They have screening the goalie too. Why don't they use someone more effective, maybe Boyle since he is big. Doughty played great. He did get spun around once but recovered perfectly. It was a great game.

Jaeca December 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

LOL. So I went to this game and as much as I love the KIngs, I also have a great amount of admiration for Ovechkin. I think I had to hide my face when I felt bad for him when he was being boo-ed and got lost on his way to the penalty box. Amazing game nonetheless, although Kopitar was getting on my nerves the entire time...his last goal kinda sorta just a little bit made up for it.

Connie December 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

I felt bad for him when he was being boo-ed and got lost on his way to the penalty box.

He TOTALLY looked like he got lost, didn't he?! Why was Kopi getting on your nerves? He's the face of this franchise... which is in need of some under eye concealer. You can't hate. =)

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP