I'm Sorry, What's Your Name Again?

Friday, February 29, 2008

Since I will be heading out of town this weekend, I thought I’d leave you all with a fun post inspired by THN’s Ryan Dixon’s post titled “Best names in hockey.” He ranked the top ten (10) hockey names by how well they rolled off the tongue. As I was perusing the various NHL rosters, I realized that there were names that could fit into any number of categories, which I separated out as such.

If you feel that there were any I missed, please let me know in the comments! Enjoy!

Silly Boys
Guillaume Latendresse (MON) - Bet you can't say that five times really fast
Radek Bonk (NSH) - Is he called Rady or Bonky?
Jordin Tootoo (NAH) - At least his first name is somewhat normal, but he still sucks
Dion Phaneuf (CAL) - Who is just plain silly
Wojtek Wolski (COL) - Wol…wolly…what’s that?
Teemu Selanne (ANA) - Salami??
Radim Vrbata (PHX) - Radim…I got nuthin
Jeremy Roenick (PHX) - The man more so than the name
Wade Dubielewicz (NYI) - Doo bee doo bee dooooo
Antero Niitymaki (PHI) - Nitty!

Names That Glide Off The Tongue
Miroslav Satan (NYI) - Will he ever get traded to New Jersey?
Ty Conklin (PIT) - And by “roll off your tounge,” I really mean “hop”
Maxim Afinogenov (BUF) - "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius."
Vesa Toskala (TOR) - VESAAAAAA
Alexei Ponikarovsky (TOR) - So many nicknames could come from this name (Pony is the best)
Ilya Kovalchuk (ATL) - Pretty boy
Olli Jokinen (FLA) - You must be Jokinen
Jonathan Toews (CHI) - Toes? Tow-eys? Tows? TAVES??
Nikolai Zherdev (CBJ) - He's a BJ
Dominik Hasek (DET) - The Dominator or fish out of water?
Robyn Regehr (CAL) - Does this really roll off the tongue or am I just crazy?
Mikko Koivu (MIN) - Adorable name, adorable face
Roberto Luongo (VAN) - I think it's the curly hair that makes his name so smooth
Patrick O’Sullivan (LAK) - Just because I feel like it

Names That Make Me Chuckle
Fedor Tyutin (NYR) - I'll give you something to toot
Petr Prucha (NYR) - Chuckles for everyone
Jarkko Ruutu (PIT) - "I believe it's called jogging or yogging, it might be a soft j, but I'm not sure."
Tuomo Ruutu (CAR) - If I had to choose, I'd rather be named Tuomo
Tom Kostopoulos (MON) – Uncle Jessie!! (courtesy of Marie)
Jiri Tlusty (TOR) - Among other things
Radek Dvorak (FLA) - Like the other type of keyboard?
Duncan Keith (CHI) - Duncan Sheik
Jeff Finger (COL) - Always makes me sneer
Adam Foote (COL) - Do you realize that the Aves now have a Foote to go along with their Finger?
Derek Boogaard (MIN) - Boogie? Booger?
Niklas Hagman (DAL) - Do his teammates call him Haggy?
Martin Hanzal (PHX) - “It's that damn Hansel! he’s so hot right now!”

Are We Missing Some Letters Here?
Glen Metropolit (BOS) - There should be some more letters at the end of that...
David Krejci (BOS) - Krejci...avic? ...kov? ...slav?
Johan Hecht (BUF) - Excuse you
Matt Foy (MIN) - Foy...er?
John Pohl (TOR) - George and Ringo?
Ken Klee (ATL) - Klee...nex?
Tom Poti (WAH) - Tommy, we call it a restroom when we get older, not a poti


Honorable Mentions from the AHL

Dwayne Zinger (Providence Bruins) - Who names their kid Dwayne anymore? Oh, I just checked and he was born in 1976; I’ll let that slide. ZING!
Wacey Rabbit (Providence Bruins) - Elmer Fudd, is that you?
Jason Bacashihua (Lake Eric Monsters) - What?
Frank Grzeszczak (Erie Otters of the OHL) - I'm not even gonna try...

16 comments:

KQ949 February 29, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

How could you forget the CheeChoo Train and Sakic (sack-itch)?! Classics!

Also, Cal Clutterbuck sounds to me like ClusterF*ck! Corey Perry = Fairy!

Last but not least, Dan Cloutier ALWAYS makes me giggle....or scream! Same thing!

Unknown February 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM  

I like your comment re: the Avs. A Foote and a Finger. I think you need those to compete.

Connie February 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

OH Jonathan Cheechoo!! How could I forget?? I hate that guy! I also hate Corey Fairy!!!

You know, I was thinking about Clouts, but I wasn't sure if I should add him or not.

Chris - Thanks! I thought that was hilarious too!

Kirsten February 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM  

I love to say Guillaume Lantendresse's name.

MIKKO KOIVU! He's adorable, I love him.

Chris (KingsCast) February 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

I always thought LaBarbara was a weird name. I mean, what is that?

Connie February 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

Kirsten - I don't even really know how to correctly say Letandresse's first name....

KingsCast - I think it's weirder that Barbs doesn't use his REAL first name. What's up with that??

Kirsten March 1, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

I'm trying to figure out how to write it out pheonetically to you, but it's hard. Do you speak French at all? Then I totally could.

Connie March 1, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

Umm...I took French in middle school. I think I'm ok with his last name; it's the first that throws me off a bit.

Kirsten March 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM  

it's essentially Guy-homme, with the French pronunciation.

Zach March 1, 2008 at 10:24 PM  

Not sure who Johan Hecht is? I know that Jochen plays there.

Connie March 2, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

Kirsten - Ahhh, got it. Thanks!

Coolman - Thanks for swinging by. I just checked and I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying attention or what, but you're right. It's Jochen.

Kirsten March 2, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

My orchid is named Guillaume, and my roommate can't pronounce it. It makes me laugh.

ScottJaredZimmerman March 4, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

I'm surprised Milan Lucic isn't on any of those lists. Weird first name, hard to pronounce last name. and he fights.

CKim March 4, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

I feel that his first name is femmy, and, yes, his last name's awkward. I don't know why he's not on the list either. =P

adr March 10, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Fernando Pisani
Angelo Esposito
Johnny Oduya
Corey Pecker
Luca Cunti

Connie March 13, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

Corey Pecker. That's harsh, but Luca Cunti is great as well.

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP