On The Road Again - Clouts In Net (For 2 Periods)

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pre-game:
- Is there anyone out there watching the Kings at the Jobbing Dot Com arena?
- Dan Cloutier is in net as so is Bryz.
- I will update after each period.

1st Period:
- Cammy's back in the line up and Dallman is suited up again; Willsie and Thornton are scratched. Gretzky's hair is looking very Hollywood and it's got some nice flow to it.
- The Kings gets some opportunities and close calls against Bryz but so do the Coyotes against Clouts. For some reason I'm not too nervous for this game. Maybe I shouldn't underestimate the Coyotes.
- Ivanans gets a hooking penalty and the Kings are on the PK. Sully is applying some good pressure out on the point man. Coyotes Goal - Jovanovski scored through traffic at 5:50 and Crawford is beyond pissed.
- The top line gets a big rush to the net. I really like this line's lateral passes coming across the blue line. Although it's only when Sully doesn't pass it back to the blue line when no one is there. Why do you do that so much, Sully? You gotta be selfish sometimes.
- Kings Goal - JJ keeps the puck in the zone at the blueline, Purcell picks it up and cycles it in deeper, Ivanans (3) then picks it up and tosses it at the net with Boyle providing a screen at 8:30. DAMN.
- I really don't like Clouts' helmet...especially because it's just a solid color.
- Coyotes Goal - Perrault snaps a high shot off from a severe angle after getting the puck with no men on at 15:29. Clouts was caught off balance and the Coyotes are up 2-1.
- JJ is getting really good at getting a player who enters his zone off the puck; I like that he's not being as passive as he has been.

2nd Period:
- The first 2 minutes of this period the Kings are keeping the puck in the offensive zone and they already have 4 shots on net, which is a good sign of the Kings coming out fast early.
- The Coyotes are definitely more physical on the Kings top line than on their other lines.
- Boyle makes a good hit behind Bryz about 5 minutes in; I like that he not only uses his size but that he also has soft hands on the puck. This is his 8th NHL game and he has 4 goals and 1 assist. Beastly.
- Coyotes Goal - ..by Brad Stuart (Winnik) at 6:44. That definitely wouldn't have gone in, but I'm not gonna knock Stuart's effort on trying to get back to help out Clouts.
- There is a mad, mad scramble after JJ takes a bomb toward the net. Boyle is in front of the net trying to get a rebound and he's taken to the ice by falling over Bryz. Ballard and Boyle both are off for 2 minutes and it's a 4-on-4. Stressful moment = A Coyote takes a shot on from inside the blueline, Clouts stops it but can't find it!!! My god, if that went in.....
- Kings PP - After one minute, Kopi takes a hooking penalty and it's 4-on-4. They can't clear it and the Coyotes are up for one minute.
- Kings PK - Bench minor against the Kings at 14:21. Crap. Ok, that was just about the funniest PK I've ever seen. Stuart's stick gets caught up in Clouts' equipment somehow and Clouts is just looking ridiculous with a stick coming out of his padding. Stuart tries to grab at it, but is unsuccessful until the 3rd try. Jim Fox says that if he had made a save, it would probably have been a stick save. HILARIOUS.
- Kings PP - Weak. Period is over and the Kings have won only 14 faceoffs compared to the Coyotes 24. Bleh.
- Carcillo receives an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the horn blows.

3rd Period:
- Barbs is in net for this last period...and apparently Clouts isn't on the bench.
- Kings PP - Kings Goal - Cammy passes the puck to Stuart who shots it toward the net, and Brownie (26) redirects it past Bryz 37 seconds in.
- Brownie upends a Coyote and his skate blade hits Boyle's visor dead on...oh my god. If he wasn't wearing that visor...
- Kings PP - I like seeing Purcell getting some specialty team minutes. He got some time on the 4-on-4 early and he's out there now. Boyle and Ballard are going at it with their bodies and their mouths. (Side note: Boyle's hair is very late 90s.)
-13 minutes left and the pace is getting faster and more scrappy.
- Kings Goal - Fro (16) gets the goal after a long shot from Stuart at 8:38. Fro's got 12 points in the last 7 games. QUITE BEASTLY.
- Kings PK - AND then Modry takes a penalty and it's a 2-man advantage for one minute for the Coyotes. JJ is hurt by a blast by Mueller and he can't get off the ice. The Kings can't clear the puck and Barbs can't grab it out of the air. This is ridiculous. Stuart doesn't have his stick now!! Coyotes Goal - Vrbata at 12:54. That just fucking sucked. The Kings were exhausted and couldn't get the puck out of their zone. How frustrating. Coyotes are up by one, 4-3.
- 6 minutes left and JJ is going to the dressing room. 3:25 left and JJ is back! Whew!
- The Yotes have 16 shots on while the Kings only have 6. What the hell.
- 1 minute left and they pull Barbs. The Coyotes are controlling the neutral zone and the Kings can't get in the zone to set anything up.

Game:
- Kings 3, Coyotes 4
- That was frustrating; Jim Fox said it best when he said that "the effort was there."

30 comments:

elise February 16, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

I have an odd dislike for Jovanovski. I have no idea why.
And I purchased my first piece of Kings gear today, a JMFJ sweatshirt. It was quite exciting.

Connie February 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

YES!!! A JMFJ sweatshirt is a GREAT BUY!!!!

elise February 16, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

The prospect of being able to wear it around school and have no one else have any idea what it means is very exciting haha

Connie February 16, 2008 at 8:08 PM  

Haha, that's what I like to hear. Wear it loud and proud!! That makes me so happy that someone outside of Cali is doning a JJ shirt.

elise February 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM  

haha well he did go to Shattuck for a year so there's someeeee MN connection. I will let you know when it arrives/I terrorize MN with that sweatshirt. I have sort of adopted him as my King...although Kopi, Teddy Purcell, Bernier and O'Sullivan are pretty up there too.

Connie February 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

Oh, you're right! Shattuck (where he was buddies with Crosby). Kopi is a beast, Sully is a stud, and I HEART Purcell and Bernier. ALL good choices!

elise February 16, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

God, why don't I go to Shattuck. Disappointing. haha
Sully used to be ours...then we traded him to you for Demo to make Gabby happy. I love that video where they announce the trade and the entire room just gasps. (and yay for comment conversations!)

Connie February 16, 2008 at 8:26 PM  

Man, I keep forgetting that Sully WAS yours! Was it a surprise when he was traded?

(and yay for comment conversations!)

Ditto!

elise February 16, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

Yeah, it was pretty surprising. I mean, I knew Gabby and Demo were BFFs and everything but I never thought they would actually pull it off. Especially since he was our top prospect and obviously a total stud. I believe he scored his first NHL goal against us too...figures. And JJs signature is really...pretty.

Connie February 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

Well, we made our sacrifices to get Sully. He's turning out to be QUITE the stud.

And JJs signature is really...pretty.

Isn't it?? I was holding a puck while he signed it, and it was done very slowly and very controlled. I was just thinking, "...wow!"

elise February 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

He has officially replaced Marc Choiunard as prettiest signature-er (that's a nice word I made up there). I might have to make up an excuse to fly out to LA just to get something signed. That could be a tad difficult though.

Connie February 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM  

If you come to LA you won't have to bring any snow gear! haha, it is quite nice here, as is almost always the case. =)

I don't think the Kings are playing the Wild at all, so you might have to wait until next season before you see him out there. Although...he's FROM Michigan...

Gann Matsuda February 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM  

When I see Jim Fox on Monday night, I'll tell him how much you loved his "stick save" joke. :-)

(Blech!!)

I wasn't in front of a TV for this one, so I'm just now about to watch it so I can write something for my blog... :-)

Tracy February 16, 2008 at 10:39 PM  

"For some reason I'm not too nervous for this game."

How about now?

"Maybe I shouldn't underestimate the Coyotes."

I think you may be dead on for that one. We may not be the best in the west (pun very much intended) but Bryz! has definitely had the Kings' number this season.

OH!! Completely agree on the stick-in-pads. That had me giggling straight through the end of the game. It's one to rewatch, for sure. :)

Connie February 16, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

Hey Gann, the "stick save" comment killed me! Also, calling Fro "Africa HOT" is hilarious!

Gann Matsuda February 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM  

Connie...Jim Fox is one of those guys who intentionally tells bad jokes and puns. He'll slip one in just about every time I see him before or after a game in the press room (on the event level at Staples Center).

Don't encourage him!! :-)

CKim February 16, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

Tracy - Bryz...that...GUY!!! But the stick-in-the-pads was too funny. I was definitely laughing about it for the rest of the game too. =P

Gann - And I am one of those people who definitely eat up those bad jokes and puns. And really, it's JIM FOX!!!

Gann Matsuda February 16, 2008 at 11:42 PM  

Connie...so you need help just like Jim Fox, huh? :-)

Connie February 17, 2008 at 12:52 AM  

Ha! I'm sure he's a hoot to be around!

Gann Matsuda February 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM  

Foxy is a great guy. Can be funny. But a "hoot?" Not sure I'd use that to describe him. :-)

Gann Matsuda February 17, 2008 at 1:47 AM  

Connie...I just heard Fox make his "stick save" joke. It was so bad, Bob Miller didn't respond to it...at all. He usually has some kind of response to Fox's jokes...not this time!! LOL!

Good for Bob! :-)

Connie February 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM  

I DID noticed that Bob Miller didn't say anything! But whatever, I was too busy laughing my ass off. =P

Kirsten February 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

I'm thinking of picking up something Kings just to piss off the Ducks "fans". I really am that petty.

Connie February 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

Yes!! DO IT! It's a silent indicator of who you're rooting for. =P Anything to stick it to a Ducks follower.

Kirsten February 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

I definitely want a Rob Blake one.

Connie February 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

AHHH!!! If I was your coxswain, you'd be my favorite rower!!

Kirsten February 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

Haha, it's coming in the mail! He better not leave.

I'm a seven seat starboard, also known as the best seat in the boat...

Connie February 17, 2008 at 6:04 PM  

Awesome! What did you get exactly??

There was a recent interview that came out where he said he wasn't interested in leaving. So....I'm hoping...(at times it seems) against hope that he stays!!

7 Seat! 7 seats are always the most chill from my experience.

Kirsten February 17, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

I got the Rob Blake Kings shirt that I wanted. I even got my mom to pay for it!


Haha, awesome, even though I'm not always that chill. Occasionally I'll sit five seat, just depends on who is in the boat.

Connie February 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

Nice, you were able to convince your mom of how awesome Blake actually is!

Oh 5 seat. haha, good times.

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP