Preseason - Kings 1, Ducks 2 (SO)

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Kings faced off against the Ducks last night for the first time this preseason, and, I must say, it was crappy. The defensive pairings were subpar and the forwards couldn’t land their passes to make decent rushes out of their own zone. There were noticeably more people attending this game compared to the first preseason game held at Staples, which meant that more people were subjected to the horrible defense of the Kings.

Let’s actually start with the forwards. Oscar Moller and Matt Moulson swapped ice time with each other to be on the top line with Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar throughout the entire game. It was nice to see Moller getting big minutes and with the top two skaters, but there were times when he was just out of position. He obviously wasn’t making an obscene amount of blatant errors, but it was apparent that he was on a tryout with the top offensive pairing. There weren’t as many penalties in this game compared to Frozen Fury, so it didn’t seem like a night solely devoted to specialty teams. That’s not to say the reffing was fantastic or anything; in fact, it was straight up horrendous.

  • I thought the checking of Kyle Calder headfirst into the boards was grounds for a penalty, but the refs thought otherwise.
  • I thought the times the Ducks interfered with Jason LaBarbera while he was still in the blue paint was grounds for multiple penalties, but the refs didn’t think that was a big deal.
  • I thought the holding penalty against Kopi during the OT frame was the biggest piece of nonsense, but apparently those are supposed to be called.
Okay I will preface this by saying I don’t play hockey on a daily basis, so I probably don’t have the authority to critique the refs, but… honestly. Since this game wasn’t televised, I’ll lay the scene out. It’s in overtime where the Kings are on the power play. Some Duck grabs a hold of Kopi’s stick and holds it across his midsection. Kopi notices this and puts his left arm up in the air to show that he’s not hooking or holding the Duck. The latter then proceeds to try and get himself tangled up in Kopi’s stick somehow and then magically trips and falls. Whistle blows and Kopi is sent off the ice for holding.

Really?

There is then a minute of 3-on-3 skating, which creates so much ice that it’s ridiculous. But just like in the regulation periods, the Ducks spend most of their time in the Kings’ zone. I am baffled as to how the Kings just couldn’t get anything going into the offensive zone. Sometimes they couldn’t even get into the neutral zone, but when they did, the Ducks blocked passes and shut them down around their blue line. The only way the Kings could really create chances were if they played the dump-and-chase card. I hate the Ducks so much.

(Noah Graham/Getty Images)Jarret Stoll on the point? I guess I can live with it

The defense... needs work. I shouldn’t have been toooooo hard on the guys since both Jack Johnson and Tom Preissing sat up in the press box. I really think that one or the other should have dressed for the game since having both players out created a weaker defense. In Jack we could have had a physical puck mover out there or a positionally sound veteran dman in Preissing. Too bad we had neither player and had to resort to putting two 18-year-old dmen on the PK at times. Pretty scary stuff. There were also some ridiculously huge defensive breakdowns, especially in the first period. Davis Drewiskie, wow. I can’t really describe this one play that almost resulted in a breakaway for the Ducks, but he did get better as the game went along, thank god.

Barbs was in net for the entire 65 minutes + shootout. I thought he looked okay, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t nervous as all hell whenever the Ducks got a shot on. For some reason I was super stressed out over this game. I know it’s just a preseason game and it’s not worth any points, but, damnit, I hate losing to them. Although, if this were a regular season game and you asked me if the Kings deserved the point for the shootout loss, I would have said, "hell no." The only real positive for me was that Moulson scored the lone goal for the Kings. He received the pass while standing with his back to the net to the right of the goal mouth. Since he’s a lefthanded shot, all he did was pivot to his right and stuffed the puck into Jonas Hiller. Other than that, the game was pretty bad.

8 comments:

KQ949 October 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

This gets harder for me ever year, but I'm taking a dip into the Ponda Center tonight. I know, I know, but with ALL the Kings/Ducks games at Staples during the week this year and none on a weekend...I have no choice!

I HATE Corey Perry. There, I said it! And if it now takes Sean Avery on Dallas to kick his ass, I'll take it!

Anyway, listened to the game on the radio last night. Ya, wasn't pleasant. And Westgarth with his hand clapping after fighting....pretty hilarious!

Let's home the Ducks come up LAME at home tonight!

Connie October 1, 2008 at 11:00 AM  

You’re going into the lion’s den!! Hopefully you come out in one piece! I really don’t know anyone who likes Corey Perry. You can usually assume that every player has at least one fan lurking out there, but not with Perry. An ass on the ice and a douche off the ice? What are you gonna do?

Oh, I totally noticed Westgarth clapping after his fights! I freaking LOVE THAT! That revs me up even more because I know he’s satisfied with his own efforts.

KQ949 October 2, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

Well, we survived...barely. We were the only kings fans surrounded by puky orange!

Before the game, Emily called that Westgarth and Parros would have a dual! I thought Westgarth would stay clear of Parros...not so! Dude held his own and clapped again going off the ice! LOVED it. Best of the night was the Doughty hip check (made me think of your Blakey) of Perry! I see a #80 jersey in your future Connie!

He was so cool last night and so impressive. I even said to Mike (don't tell Emily) that he is looking better than Jack did his first year.

I do have a new sucky though. I'd have to say that Matt Green is my new sucky. I tighten up every time he is on the ice and I HOPE he's not Jack's D partner.

People are talking about an amazing move Jack did last night with a spin-o-rama. Have to say it happened right in front of us and we went nuts! Got boo'd and heckled for that.

Great game, but looked pathetic on the 4 on 4. I was disappointed in both Ersberg and Boyle. I don't see the toughness in Boyle we saw in the several games he played last year. Are you seeing the same thing?

Connie October 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

Westgarth and Parros fought?? Ahh, I wish I could have seen that! I hope he punched Parros' mustache off!

Thanks for thinking of me! Number 80, you say? We’ll have this boy for a long time, so maybe. We shall see. =) You think he’s looking better than Jack? Well, let’s see how he does through the season. I’m super excited though! I am unimpressed with Greene so far; I’ll agree with you on that. I don’t think he and Jack are projected to play together, but you never know... =/

And I TOTALLY agree on Boyle! He’s definitely looking soft. I don’t think he’s injured... I don’t know what’s going on. Maybe he doesn’t want to push that hard and get hurt in the preseason? But that doesn’t really make sense since he’s trying to hold on to a spot on the roster. I don’t know... but I’m glad I’m not the only one that sees that!

Gann Matsuda October 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

It's too bad that the only thing Westgarth can do is fight...he has hands like concrete blocks. Great for fighting, but otherwise worthless.

Brad October 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

at least Ivanans is a pretty face that scored six goals last yer.... with fists of concrete blocks.

KQ949 October 2, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

Ivanans is still my man. But it was great because Ivanans was on the ice as well when Westgarth fought Parros. I would say it was even with Wetsy getting in a few shots to Parros' face! Ivanans stood on the side looking like he want to shout out pointers! At the end, Raitis skated over and gave Westy his gloves and said a few words....I thought it was "cute"...if you can say that about Ivanans! :)

Connie October 2, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

Gann - I agree. I haven't been impressed with anything he's done the few times I've seen him at practices.

Brad & KQ - I love that the consensus here is that Ivanans is greater than Westgarth. I can't wait to get some ridiculous picture with Ivanans!

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP