Thoughts On The NHL All-Stars

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Super Skills:

- When they were introducing the coaches for the west, Bailey was definitely in the camera shot dancing!! Awww, I loved that!
- Obstacle Course: I LOVED the wee net they used!! I was pretty excited to see DiPi shoot the puck 180 feet across the entire rink to score on his leg.
- Fastest Skater: I thought Kopi should have had at least two skills to do. The Fastest Skater event was anti-climactic for me. I think one lap around the whole rink is a much more exciting event than skating for 4.5639327593 seconds. Shawn Horcoff is actually cute when you can't see that he has one blue eye and one brown eye.
- Elimination Shootout: Mike Ribeiro looks like Beetlejuice. Dion Phaneuf: (1) actually has some skills on the shootout, (2) unimpressive on the Hardest Shot, and (3) my new nickname for him is "Woof."
- Young Stars Game: A little boring. I thought they should have brought in Baby goalies, Dallas' Mike Smith perhaps?
- Accuracy Shooting: Thomas Kaberle was impressive. Jason Arnott went to the final and failed to beat the Leaf.
- Hardest Shot: Vinny Lecavalier surprised me with getting 101.9 mph on his shot. But of course, Zdeno Chara. What a beast (103.1 mph).
- Breakaway Challenge: Pavel Datsyuk = BORING. I thought Evgeni Nabokov gave Martin St. Louis the shaft on his shots. AO got the idea with what the league was trying to do with this event.
- If you haven't seen the YouTube clip of Chris Pronger falling on his face, it is glorious.
- I'm posting this here because Finny didn't want to post it on her blog, but Ryan Getzlaf's bald spot is growing. I hadn't seen it in awhile, but wow. I'm sure he gets teased to no end by his teammates, so I feel bad. But Getz, Rogaine actually makes its product in foam form now.
- With all the confusion of everything going on, they put up a picture of Scott Neidermayer while they were interviewing Anze. Dude....do they even remotely look alike? I was laughing for a while...and then got kind of annoyed that they let that happen.
- And speaking of confusion, with so many guys with mics around the building doing mini-interviews, goalies being mic-ed up, and commentators telling stories and whatnot, I thought it was kind of overkill to be hearing like 17 different people talking at once. What the hell am I supposed to be listening to?

I thought the whole 2 1/2 hours of the Super Skills went by REALLY QUICKLY. It might have been because I was gchatting with Finny while she was live-blogging. But everything seemed to start and end in a flash. Overall, this weekend is always fun to watch and I'm glad Anze Kopitar got the nod!!!


All-Star Game:

Some flashes of awesomeness and good times all around. Nabby didn't allow any goals during his period in net; Ilya Kolvachuk had some killer chances though. I have more to say, but I'm too tired because I'm full of Dim Sum. Oh wait, I thought it was hilarious when Commissioner Gary Bettman was booed when he was announced

9 comments:

elise January 27, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

Anze Kopitar has really grown on me in the past year or so. He seems like a sweet kid. I agree about the baby goalies (although my vote would have to go to Josh Harding). Ovie's breakaway moves were hilarious. I also agree about the mic'd up...Turco was the best last year.

KQ949 January 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM  

Let's get back to REAL Hockey and the encrouching trade deadline!!

I'm ready to see how much Lombardi/Crawford can screw things up even further.

Connie January 27, 2008 at 8:33 PM  

Elise - Kopi is a good one to like. =) The reason I picked Mike Smith was just because I thought he'd be hilarious to listen to mic-ed up. Maybe he'll get tips from Turco.

KQ - Yes, I'm excited to watch the Kings on an east coast swing. We shall see how they fair. Purcell and Moulson had BETTER joined them on Philly on Tuesday.

Kirsten January 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

Naby made a couple of absolutely SICK saves. Definitely the best goalie of the game.

Connie January 30, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

Nabby definitely kicked some all-star tail out there. I wish he was mic-ed up though. That would have been great to listen to what he was saying.

Kirsten January 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Whoever invented that crazy shootout thing clearly had AO in mind.

It would have been good to mic him up, but I still doubt anyone can outdo Marty Turco in that department.

Connie January 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

You know, I think one of the only things I remember from last year was Turco mic-ed up....

Steph January 30, 2008 at 5:30 PM  

Hey now, leave my Triangle Head alone! (Honestly, I think there was some serious lack of explanation to the players as to what they were actually supposed to be doing - I feel like Datsyuk felt the idea was to actually score and just do something pretty in the process, rather than something completely ridiculous - and awesome! - like Ovie. Poor Pavel, he's just not a goofy enough Russian!)

Connie January 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM  

Yeah, Steph, I felt like the purpose of some of the stuff wasn't clearly explained to these boys. They were confused, the announcers were confused, WE were confused. A little bit of a mess, but still good times.

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP