Ringing In The New Year With A Blowout!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Pre-Game:
- The Kings host the Chicago Blackhawks and I'm pretty excited to see Kane and Toews. During the pre-game warmup, I'm at the Chicago end right up against the glass taking pictures, and all of sudden, a puck hits me in the hand. After the initial shock, I realize that it somehow got through the netting and glass and, wouldn't you know it, I just got a free puck! Sweet!

Definitely still frozen when it hit me on the hand.

- The Kings start JJ, Blake, Brownie, Kopi, Nagy, with Barbs in goal. My thought before the game was, "What the heck is Nagy doing on this opening lineup?" I would eat my words by the end of the game.
- Crow is announced to resounding boos still.

1st Period:
- First 12 seconds = BAD
- Hawks Goal - Lapointe gets it past Barbs at 2:54. Boo.
- Three minutes into the game and Chicago already has 7 shots on and the Kings have registered zero.
- Brownie draws a hooking penalty and the Kings are on the PP. Kings Goal - Preissing (5) gets a rebound off a shot from Nagy at 4:02.

The first of many celebrations

- Tuomo Ruutu and Manchester Boy draw penalties at 5:07, interference and high sticking, respectively.
- Vish pushes Toews into the boards and he goes to the bench in visible pain. He doesn't return for the rest of the game.
- So this is where they announce that they take an assist away from Toews on their goal and change up assists for the Kings' goal. Are they hot-boxing the scoring booth or what?
- Koci takes down Sully and Giuliano gets rocked. Zeiler's energy is definitely missing from the Kings' physical play.
- Hawks Goal - On the PP Little Patrick Kane gets a pass down low and then immediately passes it across the crease in front of Barbs, Sharp gets it, and snaps it in at 11:01. I was disheartened at this point, except for the fact that I have Patrick Sharp on one of my fantasy teams.
- Kings Goal
- The Hawks fail to clear it and Nagy (6) gets it in at 11:14. The Kings now have 2 goals on 5 shots.
- Kings Goal - I HEART SULLY. The Kings are on a PP; the passing is crisp and they look good. At 13:24 Sully (10) gets a pass from Brownie on the left side, takes to Khabibulin, and backhands it in (GWG).
- Kings Goal - Nagy (7) gets on the board again at 15:35. The Invisible Pair puts something together getting assists for themselves.
- Goalie change for Chicago. The Wall is taken out letting 4 goals in on 10 shots. Lalime is in and is about to get annihilated.
- Kopi gets ROCKED and his helmet and stick go flying. He's recovering on the bench and is out on the next shift. Whew.
- The Kings set up this beauty of a play but Modry fumbles at the end. Kopi tips the puck out of his zone, Brownie gets it in the neutral zone and banks it off the boards in front of the Hawks bench, Sully gets the pass and gets across the blue line. He hesitates to pass, but when he does, Modry is there to fumble it and the chance is lost.
- Handzus still sucks at taking faceoffs.

End Of The First Period:
- Kings 4 - Hawks 2 (Shots 11-19)
- The Kings decide they want to continue their streak and try for 3 in a row.
- Mr. Inconsistent has already netted two goals. Invisible Pair has 2 assists and 1 goal collectively.
- My Sophomore Stud has a PP goal.
- I wasn't in the arena for the announcement of the scratches, but I'm assuming they are Cammy (still with the ribs), Dallman (sucks and broken foot), and Klemm (just plain sucks).
- So I have to introduce the "Munchie Man" to you. This guy sells candy in the sections by the press box and is loud and proud. To get people's attention he yells things like, "Munchies!! Who's got the munchies!?!" and "Get your munchies here! The Southern California cuisine!!" If you see this guy, say hello because he's super nice.

2nd Period:
- Kings Goal - Fro (5) scores at 28 seconds in. The Kings are working it; everyone's moving and making a difference.
- I'm still waiting to see something exciting from Kane.
- Ratti and Koci get in a fight and I'm pumped. Ratti is definitely excited to throw down. It ends after some solid fisticuffs and they both receive 5 for fighting and a 10-minute misconduct.
- Kings are on the PP a minute later. There was a guy sitting behind me who kept yelling to give it to Stuart. I was definitely thinking, "NO! DON'T GIVE IT TO STUART!! HE SUCKS!!"
- 7:55 left - Kopi gets slammed into the boards in front of the sin bins and JJ takes the puck all the way to Lalime by himself.
- The Kings are setting everything up nicely and getting pucks to the net. Problem is, they can't finish most of these plays. Doesn't matter that it's 5-2 Kings right now. Finish your plays!
- At 13:46 the Kings are on the PP again. I kept my eye on Calder for this PP; I just felt like something was going to happened, and I wasn't wrong. Lalime didn't like Calder's screen and so he shifted to the right side of the net. He got Nagy's pass, moved it to Fro (6) who was open on the left side of the crease, and it's 6-2. This set up was so clean that a goal was predictable.
- The rest of the period is much the same. The Hawks get a couple of good shots on Barbs, but Barbs is SOLID tonight; he looks focused and his movements are controlled.

End Of The Second Period:
- I can confidently say that the Kings have played a full 40 minutes.
- Kings 6 - Hawks 2 (Shots 22-26)

3rd Period:
- Kings Goal - 28 seconds in and Nagy (8) gets his hat trick on a pass from Fro. I thought this was a good rush into the Hawks zone by Army, Nagy, and Fro. Fro (at the goal line) passes it back to Nagy with Army supporting the play the whole way. Yeah, secondary scoring!

Hats everywhere!

- So Koci is PMSing tonight or something. He gets a 10-minute misconduct in the first minute.
- Kings Goal - At 5:18 Brownie (19) takes advantage of Chicago's utter breakdown in the neutral zone. He grabs up the puck, stickhandles it, and throws it behind Lalime. Too easy. Kings up 8-2.
- Tempers are flaring up and Chicago is not happy. Adam Burish gets 2 minutes for high sticking, 2 minutes for roughing, a 10-minute misconduct, and a game misconduct. To this I say, "Later, Slut." Preissing gets 2 for roughing too.
- Kings Goal - The Kings have a 5-on-3 and Vish (4) gets a goal from passes from Calder and Fro at 7:40.
- It's here where I sit back, relax, and enjoy the rest of the game. IT'S OVER.
- Sully gets a 5-minute match penalty in the last minute of the third. A Hawk limps over to the bench doubled over.
Did this rush lead to a goal? I dunno, probably.

End of the Game:
- Kings 9 - Hawks 2 (Shots 26 - 34)
- The Kings absolutely dominated the neutral zone. They didn't allow the Hawks to put anything together after their second goal in the first period.
- The energy in the arena was high and so were the Kings goal total.
- Ratti definitely made it known that he would F you up in a second if you even held his gaze for too long.
- Interesting stat: Chicago came into the game tonight with the #1 PK in the entire NHL. The Kings converted 7 PPs into 5 PP goals. Things that make you go "hmm."

What a way to ring in the new year.


P.S. Did anyone catch this AMP Energy commercial during the Winter Classic? It has Ryan Miller and J.S. AUBIN throwing Yo Mamma jokes at each other. I think I might have died when I first saw this. Not only has J.S. been playing decently lately, but he's doling out Yo Mamma jokes?? Yo-Mamma-ween? AMAZING.


12 comments:

Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 1:34 AM  

"During the pre-game warmup, I'm at the Chicago end right up against the glass taking pictures, and all of sudden, a puck hits me in the hand."

Perhaps Denis should have gone and got you to replace Lalime? =)

Btw: Were you near where they broke the glass on the check?

"What the heck is Nagy doing on this opening lineup?" I would eat my words by the end of the game."

Hahaha. I'll have to clip the hats hitting the ice. That was great

"So Koci is PMSing tonight or something"

You're funny, but the description is quite accurate

KQ949 January 2, 2008 at 9:07 AM  

We decided to go at the last minute and had GREAT seats for an every BETTER price center ice, 11 rows up behind the sin bins!

What a GREAT game. My hubby said they won due to my new SILVER boots I bought just to wear to Kings games. We'll see if that's true as I'll wear them to the Calgary game to see MY "Connie" (as in Craig Conroy).

It was GREAT to see Ivanans throw down again. We clearly saw all the jawing that was done prior to it and he DID have a gleam in his eye like it was something he was itching to do!

I DO know the Munchie Man as he also does the Galaxy games at the Home Depot Center and he's usually in our section. He IS a fun man!

You forgot to mention the "We want 10" chant going on in the third period. The players were all smiling and laughing on the bench when they heard that.

My son spotted Cammy hanging out in the VIP tunnel in the third period. He seemed VERY pleased with what he saw. I hope he's back soon.

Happy New Year everyone! Go Kings! Undefeated in 08....YES!! :)

Kirsten January 2, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

Eat shit, Chicago! I mean...uh...

Anyways, awesome about the free puck, and that commercial is hilarious. Who knew Miller sort of had a personality?

Charity January 2, 2008 at 1:29 PM  

omgggg, i was there! I wish I had connected with you beforehand. it would've been insane. Where were you sitting? I was in PR11... UGH. Crazy game.

Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

"Who knew Miller sort of had a personality?"

Hey, taking pictures of sunrise & sunsets over lakes is...ummm... nevermind. =)

I was scanning for that glassbuster check and came across the scrap and realised Koci did some finger wagging afterward. "That's a no no Ratti!" Hahaha

Finger wagging beats sunset pictures and Koci is going up on Youtube with a link

Hattrick, glassbuster & "Everyhawk hates Preissing and thank you Koci that Linesman and Ref telling him to get the heck outta there 2nd 10min misconduct... all going up on Youtube too.

Thank you Connie for pointing out that comedy goldmine!

Connie January 2, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

KQ - I can't believe you went and you didn't even at least text me! I was totally watching the Hawks up close and personal on their warmups. Toews and Kane are adorable! Ivanans was on the hunt last night, it was great. The "We want 10" chant was pretty fantastic! And I DID forget to mention that. But I LOVE that the players were laughing about that. I’m glad they were actually able to enjoy themselves out there.

The Munchie Man is awesome. He was so loud and when I asked him his name he got really quite and very respectful-like. He was too cool. And what are these silver boots?? I’m gonna have to check them on out Saturday.


Kirsten – The commercial caught me so off guard that I basically went into hysterics for a little bit.

Do you realize that Chicago is the only team this season that’s beaten Detroit in all their meetings?? Vis-à-vis, the Kings have beaten Detroit. =)


Finny - What the hell, you were there? We could have wreaked havoc on Staples! Where's PR11? Public Restrooms. =P

mr - I'll have to check out these clips, especially the one of Koci.

Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM  

"came across the scrap and realised Koci did some finger wagging afterward. "That's a no no Ratti!" Hahaha"

Sorry for delay, the Blues & Oilers are getting interesting. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-QdsESJwY

Connie, can I put a link to your blog with the others that will be going up?

Your description is hilarious and perfect to go with Koci's humourous argument with the linesman

KQ949 January 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM  

Connie, remember I could be your mother! I don't think "text"! I remember 8 track tapes! HaHa!

We're in section 113 on Saturday. I'm very excited to see "my connie".

Yes, my boots...here's the deal. I first saw a pair of Franco Sarto "Mod" silver boots at Nordstrom for $170, but in the midst of the losing streak, I said, "The Kings don't deserve me paying $170 for my "game boots"! So, I went on e-bay and found a pair of silver boots for $30! There, that's more like it! Wore them for the first time yesterday! So for now, they are my lucky boots!

I hope Nags and Fro gained some much needed confidence and we see some great hockey going forward.

Anonymous January 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM  

Here we go

Part 2 of Koci antics
20+ PIMs, the Officials grow weary. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABT7qeq92Y

To this I say, "Later, Slut."

I laughed when I read that. Preissing would too. It had to be put up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpfzmQtGWPc

Cute, beer sipping, California USA girls may have to eat their words? on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajip27uuTLY

Not related, nor requested here, but the Wife Stealer appeared a favourite when mentioned before. So jump to 00:17. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJrbELEznQI

Connie January 3, 2008 at 6:24 AM  

KQ - Whatever, young at heart! I was surprised when DL got rid of Conroy last year; I thought he was doing decently. And Nagy and Fro were looking good out there. I'll be at the game tonight against the Blue Jackets so we'll see how it goes. 4 in a row?

$170 for boots? Good choice with eBay. haha, can't wait to see them on Saturday.

mr - Thanks for the videos

Kirsten January 3, 2008 at 9:08 AM  

Ckim-I did not know that, but there you go. Beating Detroit is good, but still not good enough to make me like Chicago.

I LOVE Aubin's accent in the clip also. Have you seen the Miller and Oake clip where they make fun of Kelly Hrudey while he's sleeping? I can't seem to find it on YouTube just now, but I'll keep looking.

Anonymous January 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

"Have you seen the Miller and Oake clip where they make fun of Kelly Hrudey while he's sleeping?"

I'd like to see that too, when you find it.

Remember this one when Miller & Luongo make fun of napping Turco? @00:18 Humourous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OMk1s9s8K8

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP