Thanks, NHL and Versus

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The NHL and Versus released the schedule today of what games will be aired on the Bull-riding channel. Puck Daddy does an excellent job of breaking down the schedule in terms of how many times a team is shown for next season. How many of you are surprised that the Kings are shown ZERO TIMES?

No one? That’s what I thought.

I really don’t like to bag on other markets/cities outside of the Pacific Division because I have mad respect for everyone. But Buffalo? 9 times?? REALLY? 7 times for Boston?? St. Louis 5 times???

In the Pacific Division only the Dallas Stars get a bit of love by having 4 games aired nationally. The rest?

San Jose – 3
Phoenix – 1
Anaheim – 1
Los Angeles – 0

Zero. ZERO! Oh my god, really? Look, I’m not whining and complaining about this because I’ll be able to watch almost all of the games myself. What I’m angry about is the fact that the NHL and Versus are essentially telling hockey fans that the Kings, Flames, and Oilers are not relevant. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t air ANY games from 2 of the 6 Canadian teams. I know that the eastern teams are the big hockey markets that draw in the biggest numbers, but how does that create exposure for other teams? In a league where certain markets aren’t perceived as being relevant, the NHL and Versus have made it clear that they think so as well.

x-posted on HLOG

3 comments:

Gann Matsuda August 14, 2008 at 4:32 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gann Matsuda August 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM  

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. An educated guess, given the history, is that the Kings are bad and everyone knows it. BUT...a bigger reason is that the league caters to Eastern time zone cities, primarily, which is why the national TV schedule is so drastically tilted in that direction.

It make sense in terms of money, but it sure shortchanges us out here on the West Coast.

BTW: I've got a commentary piece about the TV schedule on my blog. Also linked to yours. :-)

Connie August 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

Ahh yes, the eastern time zone. That makes sense, but it's still annoying that the Kings get zero games.

Thanks for the link!

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP