Dahhhh!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

This is old news, but I want to put in my two cents now. The NHL will be rolling out with 3rd jerseys from various teams for the 08-09 season, and the designs are apparently going to be made public soon (don’t ask me when). The whole concept of the 3rd jersey isn’t one that I’m really a fan of, but I haven’t done any research into the marketing reasoning behind it, so I can’t intelligently analyze this. This is more of a reactionary post.

Ew

Puck Daddy’s post today
on the Kings potential 3rd jersey logo was a bit shocking. Because, really… it’s ugly. It looks like a cross between what we have going now with the crown and font style with the Black and Silver era. Don’t get me wrong, I like the style of the new jerseys; they’re clean, simple, and sharp. And I love the Black and Silver era design (CLASSIC). But smashing the two together? This just looks like a bad idea.

And this logo is supposed to go on a purple jersey? I know that right now the crown with purple accents is on a black or white jersey (depending on a game’s locale), but I’m not sure I’d be down with it being the other way around. It looks like an odd medieval banner that never should have been; one that causes me to make faces when I look at it. Maybe I should hold off on my judgment until I get a look at what the finished product looks like, but, as of now, I am not a fan.

[Update: Rudy's post on the exact same thing at almost the exact same time.]

3 comments:

Brad August 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

"The Kings will unveil a predominantly black jersey with the letters “L A” inside a pencil-point logo on the front. Broad white stripes will adorn each arm. A thin white stripe will run horizontally on each side of the jersey, just beneath the shoulder. There are no stripes at the bottom of the uniform. The color purple – widely evident in the Kings’ primary jersey – will likely be featured in the number outlines of the alternate, though the photo copy I have doesn’t clearly show it. A better idea would have been a reprise of the Kings’ original purple and gold uniforms from 1967, but the club marketers are apparently not bent on tradition."

It looks like purple will be a relatively minor part of the jersey, and not the dominant color that you said? And being a season ticket holder, aren't you supposed to be getting one as the kings website states?

http://kings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=3053

Connie August 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Oh... you’re right. I AM gonna get one... hopefully it’s... cool...

Eep! Well, I'll be able to fully analyze it after I receive it then.

Misterbuff August 19, 2008 at 10:21 PM  

I found this article that used based its findings on hockey players. Thought you might be interested: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/widefacedmenmoreaggressive. Perhaps you can provide some post examples and/or counterexamples.

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP