Year-In-Review – 4 – J.S. Aubin & Jonathan Quick

Saturday, April 26, 2008

(Juan Ocampo/Getty Images)
At least the mask was pretty cool.

I'm not sure I have too much to say on Monsieur Amp Energy. He was signed for a 1-year deal for $500,000, which some might say would be a bargain. I’m no wizard at etymology, but the word “bargain” has the word “gain” in it; any idiot can see that. I bring this up because I fail to see the “gain” the Kings had in signing J. S. Aubin. I can be a jerk and say this retrospectively because he didn’t do a whole lot in terms of his netminding. At the time of his signing I’m sure he had his purpose, but at the end of the day I’m not sure if he fulfilled said purpose. I will repeat the comment Teebz said a couple months ago in that Aubin was “a bag of crap.” Fantastic.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things, but Aubin's stats look odd in that his wins, losses, and ties don't add up to how many games he's supposedly played. But, then again, he and Barbs switched it up a lot in the middle of games, so the stat could be true. Whatever, he played in 19 games for the Kings with 5 wins, 6 losses, and 1 overtime loss, while posting a 3.19 GAA, and a .886 save percentage.

I think one thing that stood out to me was that he was physically so much smaller than Barbs. I concluded that since he couldn’t take up as much space in the net, that he wouldn’t be as good as Barbs. Even though both trains of thought were accurate, the latter did not happen because of the former. Aubin just wasn’t as good as Barbs and everyone could see that. But I don’t want to completely discount him; I mean, he’s Mr. Amp with the francophone accent. I’m not gonna lie, I was always nervous to see Aubin either come in relief for Barbs or start a game (a.k.a. whenever he was in goal). For some reason, I never had the full confidence in him to keep pucks out of the net. The whole rotating the tandem in net was lame because it was abundantly clear who the number one was! Barbs backstopped the Monarchs in their playoffs run the previous season and Aubin was a free agent signing. We weren’t in the situation like Detroit was where they had a 1A and 1B. No, this was a clear #1 and #2.

December was a pretty cruel month with Aubin in net for half of it. After looking at the stats for the first couple of games, I realized that I didn't want to look at all of them because I'd just get more depressed. So let's just say that for the whole month the goaltending picture was pretty bad. During this time, Jonathan Quick was brought in to fill the backup role for just three (3) games. In that time he had one win and two losses, a 3.83 GAA, and a .855 save percentage.
(AP)
Too much booty in the pants

Quick’s first game was one that I actually had to catch on the radio, which was unfortunate because the Kings went ahead and beat the living snot out of whichever team they were playing. I definitely can’t remember which team it was and don’t care to look it up. But this was Quick’s first NHL win so I extend a "good job" to him.

Quick played in 19 games with Manchester this season where he posted an 11-8-0-3, with a 2.32 GAA, and a .922 save percentage. He then played in one playoff game for the Monarchs where he and Jonathan Bernier were going back and forth in net. Quick lost his one game in net while getting a 1.02 GAA, and a .974 save percentage. I definitely hope that he can make a showing at the training camp at the end of summer, but I'm pretty sure he's gonna be reassigned to Manchester once the season starts.

Going back to Aubin, we all know that he was the subject of the first ever trade between the Kings and Ducks. He passed through waivers and was in Manchester up until February 26th, trade deadline day. He was sent to the Ducks roster and, in return, the Kings got a 7th round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft. Not as glamorous an ending as one would hope, but he’ll go down in history with this tidbit of information. He was then immediately sent to the AHL’s Portland Pirates to backstop them in their run for the Calder Cup. But the most comical thing for me was that he was recalled near the end of the NHL season to backup Jonas Hiller while J.S. Giguere was out with a back injury. Seeing him on the Ducks bench clad in Ducks gear was…. terrible (read: hilarious).

15 comments:

Teebz April 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM  

I stand by my comment. He is a bag of crap. :o)

Kirsten April 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM  

I kind of have a think for Aubin...

Connie April 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM  

I think you mean "a thing" and I'm curious as to why?

Kirsten April 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM  

I just like Aubin. I'm not sure why, but I don't think it has to do with hockey.

Connie May 1, 2008 at 12:49 AM  

Hmm, would it maybe be because he's a Frenchman (from Canada)?? You know, you might be as tall as him; I wouldn't be surprised... He's not that big. =P

Kirsten May 1, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

French Canadians are usually quite short, but they have HOT accents.

Connie May 1, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Oh, NO KIDDING!!!

- Jonathan Bernier
- Antoine Vermette
- Lucky Luc
- Pierre-Marc Bouchard (right?)

I know I'm missing others; help me out here.

Kirsten May 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

I love Pierre-Marc Bouchard, and my adoration for Lucky Luc knows no bounds.
It's not their fault that I'm tall.

Bruno Gervais, Stephane Veilleux, Guillaume Latendresse, Mathieu Garon, Stephane Robidas, Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, Martin Brodeur (ick), Marc-Andre Fleury, Ian Laperierre, Jean Sebastian Giguere (double ick), Mario Lemeiux, Patrice Brisbois, Patrice Bergeron, the list goes on and on.

Connie May 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

Brodeur has an accent? Definitely NOT into Guigere. Agreed on the "ick."

How could I forget about Vinny?!?! Oh wait, DANNY BRIERE. I <3 him.

Kirsten May 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM  

Brodeur does have an accent. It's not as strong as it used to be, but it's there.

I <3 Vinny. Briere...not so much.

Connie May 3, 2008 at 12:29 AM  

Aww, it's ok. Briere gets enough love from me. I could have sworn there was another Frenchy...I think I had him in my head this morning... bah...

Kirsten May 3, 2008 at 12:52 AM  

Phillipe Boucher? I'm sure this is not a comprehensive list...Alex Burrows is also French Canadian.

Matthew Lombardi is Anglo, but he's from Montreal. I've never heard him speak French, but I'd like to...

I think Vinny would look great in purple.

Connie May 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

Yeah, this definitely isn't a comprehensive list seeing as how I'm just trying to remember from random interviews I've seen. And I remembered him! He's not Canadian but he's Fraaanch. Cristobal Huet!

Kirsten May 4, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

Oh Huet. I liked him better when he played for the Habs.

Connie May 5, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

I still like him as much. I mean, he was playing with Fedorov for crying out loud! But then again, this has nothing to do with our previous conversation.

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP